Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Apple Berry Crisp from Greenland

Greenland was our first real challenge for the World Peas project. We had hoped to find a vegetarian main course from every country in the world. However, all of the recipes that I could find from Greenland required either whale blubber, seal meat, or caribou. I'm being totally serious. Even if I weren't a vegetarian, it would be hard to come by those ingredients.

I found ONE recipe that Elliot and I were able to modify. A dessert recipe, similar to many desserts I've had before. But beggars can't be choosers, and it turned out very tasty, anyway.

The original Apple Berry Crisp recipe called for crowberries. Crowberries actually grow in Greenland, whereas nearly every other kind of fruit and vegetable is unable to survive the cold. (They have to ship almost all of their produce into the country.) This makes the name "Greenland" sort of ironic. And it also makes Greenland sort of the opposite of Florida, meaning that I was unable to get my hands on a basket of crowberries. So Elliot and I decided to cut out the crowberries and double the blueberries. Other than that, the recipe is the same.

Elliot did a fabulous job of preparing our Greenlandic dessert.

1 comment:

Wesly said...

Hello I'm making this for me report on Greenland Christmas for my 6th grade report