Monday, June 15, 2009

So This Is What Parenting Is Like...

I have been decorated with stickers from the waist up ever since Aimee arrived. She seems to have an endless supply of stickers. At the salon the other day, as I was getting my hair washed, the hairdresser said, "Oh, I got some conditioner on your face!" and tried to wipe a shiny bumblebee off of my cheek that I had forgotten was there.

And William is just full of silly things to say. At the library last weekend, we walked by the elevator as it was opening to let some people inside.

"Ooooh! an ALLIGATOR!" he said.
"That's an ELE-VATOR," I corrected.
"NO! an ALLIGATOR!"
"That's an elevator. It takes people up to the next floor of the library. It's for people who can't climb the stairs."
"IT'S AN ALLIGATOR! AN ALLIGATOR POTTY! ALLIGATORS GO POTTY IN THERE! ALLIGATORS GO POTTY ON THE NEXT FLOOR! AN ALLIGATOR! AN ALLIGATOR!"

People nearby were laughing. Oh man. What could I do but say "oh, okay" and hope he stops yelling?

4 comments:

Tiny Wire said...

Do you think your penchant for wordplay is rubbing off on him?

tarynkay said...

That is an awesome story.

M said...

I think William just gets words confused... for example, he wants to go to "outer face" on a rocket ship. :)

Tiny Wire said...

But an elevator is sort of like an alligator...what with its big chomping jaw-like door.