Sunday, February 08, 2009

3rd Annual Visit to Apalachicola

Elliot and I took our 3rd trip to Apalachicola this past Friday and Saturday. We had a wonderful time, despite the fact that it was basically a series of mishaps and misfortunes.

We were excited to go back to Apalachicola because we took up bird watching this past year and we figured that we might see some new species. Friday after work we packed for our trip and hopped in Elliot's car. About an hour into the car ride, a bird flew into the side of the car, killing itself. We didn't run into it-- it ran into us. Not a happy way to start the trip. Especially not a bird watching trip.

In Apalachicola, we rented a room at a bed and breakfast, then went and had a delicious dinner. Once we got back to the room, I climbed into the bed, which was very high off of the ground and required a step-stool to get into. It was a big, four-poster bed and it had a thick, wooden frame. When I decided to get back down off the bed, I slid down the side and hit my leg very,very hard along the frame, giving myself big, purple bruise. It hurt so badly!



The next day, Elliot and I walked all over the downtown area. Apalachicola has a bird sanctuary with a science center and a nature trail, so we decided to go check it out. The science center was closed, so we took the nature trail in order to do some bird watching. We saw a big flock of robins at the start of the trail and we took a long time observing them.

As we continued, walking past the robins, I felt a scratch along my lower back and reached back to brush away whatever was touching me. I felt dirt or something like it all over my back. Unsure of what it was, I touched under my waistband and felt still more dirt. Feeling concerned, I reached down into my underwear and felt that my underwear was full of dirt, too. I had no idea where it came from, so I got frantic.

"Elliot! There are little things in my underwear! LOTS OF THEM!!!"

Without even thinking, I pulled down my pants and the back of my underwear, brushing frantically at my rear end. Elliot helped me, trying not to laugh.

We got everything out of my pants (still not sure what it was or how it got there), looked around to make sure no one saw, then moved on. Not twenty feet ahead we saw a sign. This is what it said (no joke): "Due to a recent problem with vandalism in this area, police will be patrolling here on a regular basis. Video surveillance cameras have be set up along the trail. Vandals will be prosecuted."

Elliot and I sure got a laugh out of that. I'm sure that the Apalachicola police department got quite a laugh, too, watching some crazy lady dance around with her butt hanging out of her pants. (If there are in fact cameras, that is.)

At the end of the trail, we DID see a bald eagle! That made it worth it.

The rest of the trip was fine-- we bought some chocolates from a chocolatier. They weren't very good. Then we went to a few antique stores, found nothing that we wanted to buy, and went home.

Can't wait to go back next year!!!


No comments: