Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Local Artist



I've been volunteering about 2 hours every week at a local preschool since February. I love it. The kids make me laugh non-stop. And whenever I walk in the door, they all yell "Miss Mary!" and run over to me and hug my legs. It makes me feel very special.

If I'm wearing my Batman t-shirt (which I make a point of wearing about once a month) then everyone spends the next 30 minutes telling me who their favorite superheroes are. We've all had the same conversation at least 5 or 6 times, but the kids are no less enthusiastic each time I wear the shirt. Eventually they start making up superheroes. At least, I'm pretty sure that there are no Mister Crazyhead comic books. I could be wrong, though.

Last week when I walked in, one of the little girls named Paxton ran over with a drawing she'd made and said "Miss Mary, I made this for you! It's me and my house." I can only assume that her house is the black box and that she herself is represented by the yellow outline of her hand. Very cute. So now it's hanging on my fridge. And posted on my blog. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary,
You are an extraordinary and wonderful person. We are lucky to have you on the planet and very lucky to have you in the family.

Much love,
C.

M said...

thank you so much! but really, I'M the one who's lucky. i have the best group of friends and family anyone could ask for. i get so much love and support. and i get lots of great perks, too, like children's art for my fridge. or access to a brand new nintendo wii on release day.

Anonymous said...

Mary,

You're so sweet to share your time with those kiddies. People like you make the world a much nicer place for all of us.

Jim

Anonymous said...

Mary, that breaks my heart. I adore children's art so much...art is SO important, if you've ever seen a kid's face light up at praise for one of their pieces...it totally turns them on like nothing else can...aww.