Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Kimchi from Korea

Last week we made kimchi, a Korean snack/side dish that we are attributing to North Korea, although it is eaten in both the north and the south. We made it too salty-- it was our own fault for not being careful when we tried to make less than the original recipe called for. But despite our error, I can tell it would have been tasty.

I've had store-bought kimchi in the past and I really didn't like it because the taste was too strong. This homemade kimchi has a much milder taste, however. We only fermented ours for 2 days, and we made a vegetarian recipe that does not include fish paste. It was a better flavor, in my opinion.

I'd like to try to make this again, being more careful with the salt next time. I really think it will taste good when we prepare it properly.

Elliot with our first-ever jar of kimchi:

No comments: