Friday, September 07, 2007

Another Sad Goodbye; I Love You, Mitzi

My parents had to put our family cat, Mittens, to sleep this morning. She was suffering from kidney failure and, unfortunately, there was nothing that could be done to help her. Mittens was 21 years old.

I grew up with Mittens and so I'm very sad about losing her. I know that she had a great life, and a long one at that. She is very loved.

The Story of Mittens:

Just before Christmas of 1987, our next door neighbors' cat, Mittens, jumped off their roof and hurt one of her legs when she fell. The neighbors were in the process of moving when this happened and they moved away without Mittens. We found her in our bushes a few days later, barely able to walk.

My parents told us (Sara and I-- Laura wasn't born yet) that we had an important choice to make. We could keep Mittens as our own pet and take her to the vet to get help but have fewer toys for Christmas, or we could have a regular Christmas with no Mittens. Needless to say, we picked Mittens. And she stayed with us for 20 years!

Mittens was the best Christmas present I've ever gotten. I'll miss her so much. :(



This really dark picture of Mittens is the only one stored on my computer. She and Radar look a lot alike.

No comments: