Monday, October 26, 2009

Machines at Work

Yes, you can tell from that awesome box of gears, I share my work space with some serious machines. Big ones. Some of them can chop off your arm if you are not careful, others might confuse you if you are not careful. All of them are totally awesome. Here are pictures of the ones I see every day.

Machines need maintenance. Some of them need to be opened up and fiddled with on a regular basis, like this one. Want to know what this one does? Let me zoom out so it will be more clear.
That should clear up the mystery. This machine's main purpose is to train repairmen! Or stuff envelopes.

Then there's this beast, the folder.

This one's a driller.

Here we have the cutter. (The one that can chop off arms.)

And what could this be? (The one that might confuse.)
Don't feel bad, it's a purposefully misleading close up.
Hint: it's in the men's bathroom.
Here it is again, all zoomed out.
I know, it's a urinal!




Oh, it's a sink? I found that one out the hard way :(

Ah yes, the jewel of our pointy, greasy machine crown.

Our latest, quite fancy, printer.
The printed pages end up here and when it's done the blast shield lowers and you can take however many cubic feet of printed paper you ordered out and start printing some more.

And as a bonus, check out our oldest printer:


Yeah it's a linotype machine. Probably the coolest analog device in the whole building. It molds lead alloys to form lines of text that are imprinted onto page then recycled after the printing is done or the line gets beat up too much. It is really cool and not used anymore at least not while I have been here, but we used to use one and if we had to we have the knowhow to use it again, at least someone here does. I heard the inventor went crazy from all the lead! Pretty cool! By the way, I couldn't get a good picture of the whole thing because it is in a storage area.






3 comments:

M said...

You're my beaubot!

brendan said...

I had no idea you worked in a place with such cool machines!

We could really use one of those giant arm chopping machines at my office. I would chop everything I could get my hands on if I had one of those.

Elliot said...

To be fair, the arm chopper is really made to only chop paper. Though it probably could chop most things. I guess all that would need to be changed out is the replacable blade and then even if you chop a soda can or a laptop you could just put the new blade on and chop away! Maybe sometime I will post videos with sound of some of these machines working. They sound pretty cool.