Tuesday, June 10, 2008

A "funny" thing happened on the way to the washing machine.

And by "funny," I mean TERRIFYING.


Yeah, this guy happened.
I am not extra afraid of bugs but this, LARGE CENTIPEDE, I must admit, made my heart rate increase. After cursing and recoiling in momentary horror, my next instinct, of course, was to take some pictures.


Here he is scurrying up to throat level.








And here the little cutie is trying to
lunge at my carotid artery.





The fact that they can smell the blood inside your vessels, while not widely known or even mentioned in the centipede wikipedia entry, is quite evidently displayed here. I thought these guys only existed in the movies! I wanna blame global warming but I am pretty sure that it has a lot more to do with the fact that there is a small pile of large branches that have fallen off the tree in our back yard that I haven't destroyed or moved yet. Ooops. Live and learn.
You can't tell, because I was too concerned for my life to get my hand close enough, but this guy was longer than my hand, about the length of an unsharpened pencil though probably more than twice as wide. This must be what Indiana Jones has to go through when he does his laundry.



So long little fella!
So then I got a cup, and threw him outside where he can take his rightful place in the food chain, which is probably somewhere between vampires and werewolves, neither of which has ever bothered me while doing my laundry.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

There totally is something nasty about those little things! And some of them are real quick runners. ewwww!

Unknown said...

I guess because they have 50 times the legs we do they think they're better than us and can just bust up in a laundry room like that.

That's why I hate centipedes, no respect for personal space.

Also, a smaller version crawled up my pants leg at MCC one morning. So I'm still harboring bad feelings.

Elliot said...

Jonathan, That was the first thing I thought of! I was like OMG, I guess he wasn't kidding about that horrible centipede story. I am not sure that Katie understands the size here! This guy wasn't little! At least not to me. If I could have gotten him to bite his own tail I could have worn him as a bracelet or maybe even a necklace though probably a choker.